Had a hectic week? There’s an app for that. Here are three of the best to help you relax and free up some headspace.
What is it?
The #1 app for meditation and sleep, and voted Apple App of the Year 2017, Calm offers 100+ guided meditations covering anxiety, focus, stress, sleep and more.
Here’s what you get:
- A new ‘Daily Calm’ everyday – a 10 minute talk guiding you through a meditation with soothing images of flowing water and landscapes to accompany it.
- A library of sleep stories, updated weekly, featuring readers like Stephen Fry (‘A calming 25 minute journey through the lavender fields of sleepy villages of Provence’), Bob Ross and Anna Acton.
- Music tracks for focus, relaxation and sleep.
- A ‘Calm Masterclass’ featuring mindfulness experts, with a new one added every month. Masterclasses include ‘Discovering Happiness’ with Shawn Acton, world renowned happiness expert. ‘Creative Living Beyond Fear’ with Elizabeth Gilbert, Author of Eat Pray Love, and ‘Rethinking Depression’ with Dr. Steve Ilardi, Psychologist and Clinical Nueroscientist.
If you haven’t got time for a story or meditation then you can simply use the app to do some guided breathing, sure to help you relax after a stressful day at work.
Free 7 day trial then a range of pricing options to access Calm Premium (dependent on length of subscription) starting from €7.99.
What is it?
Listed as one of Forbes’ ‘4 Technologies Innovating in Mental Health’ and one of Apple’s Top Apps of 2017, Pacifica offers ‘psychologist-designed tools to address stress, anxiety and depression based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, mindfulness meditation, relaxation, and mood/health tracking’.
Here’s how it works:
- You start off by setting goals – things like feel happier, decrease anxiety, build confidence, improve social skills – then pick a time of day that you can commit to focus on yourself, which can be specific or a random time in the morning or evening.
- You feed into the app how you are feeling at a given time and it will make suggestions such as ‘spend some time on a hobby’ or ‘start a guided meditation’.
- The health tracking part of the app tracks habits each day that may be affecting your mood (like exercise, sleep and caffeine). The aim is to help you notice patterns so that you can make adjustments.
- The app also offers a tailored Spotify playlist, some inspirational quotes and links to a ‘Your Mind Matters’ podcast with psychologist Dr. Christine.
- There is also a ‘Community’ option based around specific themes if you would like to share your goals or daily stresses with other users.
Lots of free features. Access to the Premium offering: Monthly €8.99, Yearly €53.99, Lifetime €229.99.
Premium includes access to the full library of meditations, ‘learning paths’ to help you learn new life skills and reach your goals, unlimited health tracking, psychologist designed journaling tools, and, interestingly, tools that your therapist, if you are seeing one, can tap into to track your moods and assign personalised assessments.
What is it?
Perfect for relaxing your brain after a stressful day this one is has no bells and whistles – it literally just provides some nice pictures for you to colour in and access your inner child. The idea is that you become so focused on the detail that you block out all of the worries and stresses and whirlwind of things to do that are usually floating around your head.
An easy way to practice mindfulness techniques while stuck in traffic or on your lunch break.
When you join you are given a gift of 50 coins to unlock premium pictures. You can earn more coins by watching video ads.
Recolour Premium: 7 day trial then €7.99 per week, offering access to 2,000+ pictures, palettes and effects, and access to new pictures every day.