Job sharing has always been seen as one of the least preferred options for flexible working, with employers hung up on the idea that managing two people is a more difficult option for the business.
But, as specialist recruitment agency Ten2Two explain, that view is beginning to change.
Goldman Sachs, EY, Lloyds Banking, BBC and Sky are all employers who have embraced job shares, which, they say, is helping to entice highly experienced professionals at a senior level.
Flexible and part-time working agency Ten2Two set out 9 reasons why employers should look at job sharing with fresh eyes.
What’s not to love about job shares?
1.A job share gives you two brains for the price of one. Both will be working to the same objectives but will add value by thinking in slightly different ways. And, when job sharers have a slightly different background or skill set, there is the additional bonus of a broader skill set in the role that a single person couldn’t bring.
2. You get improved business continuity. If a job requires more than a standard week and a necessary presence every day, two employees working reduced hours can join forces to fill it.
3. Job sharing also reduces bottlenecks caused by holidays and other absences, since the sharers can cover for each other, saving the business money.
Staff satisfaction reduces absenteeism and increases staff retention saving your business money
4. They also help smooth the peaks and troughs. Job sharers in certain combinations can ease the training burden in a role by keeping an experienced worker always in post. This is also helpful if one sharer retires or goes on maternity leave – there’ll still be a safe pair of hands.
5. The flexibility you afford employees translates to hard working staff and greater productivity.
6. Staff satisfaction reduces absenteeism and increases staff retention saving your business money.
You get two professional viewpoints to help make calculated and effective judgement calls
7. Your job share employees will set up methods to ensure communication is totally bolted down so that their position works and there is no margin for error. This can result in better performance compared with non-job shares.
8. Two decision makers actually improve the effectiveness of the business – you get two professional viewpoints to help make calculated and effective judgement calls.
9. Offering a job share when recruiting will open up a talent pool for any hard-to-find skills you’re searching for.
Ten2Two is a recruitment company specialising in flexible and part-time working. Supporting hundreds of highly skilled people – mostly women but increasingly men – we work to fulfil their ambitions and needs through flexible working, often with part-time jobs or reduced hours. Jobs that enable you to progress your work and career aspirations whilst meeting the demands of family life. Jobs that give you the flexibility to do something else. For more information go to: https://www.ten2two.org
This blog post was originally posted here and has been republished on The Daily Slog with kind permission from Ten2Two.