Business Books in Brief
‘Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in your Work and in your Life’, by Dr. Spencer Johnson.
The story of Who Moved My Cheese? was created by Dr. Spencer Johnson to help him deal with a period of difficult change in his life. It showed him how to take his changing situation seriously – but not take himself so seriously. When his friends, who had noticed the change in him, finally convinced him to publish the story, it quickly became an international bestseller, topping the lists of business books around the world.
Who Moved My Cheese? is a story about change that takes place in a Maze where four characters look for ‘Cheese’ – cheese being a metaphor for what we really want to have in life, be it a job, a relationship, money or anything else we dream of. The story weaves its way through the pursuit, achievement, and loss of these dreams and is a short but powerful read.
Here are some of the key (cheese related) takeaways from this surprising little book:
- The more important your cheese is to you the more you want to hold on to it.
- Smell the cheese often so you know when it is getting old.
- Movement in a new direction helps you find new cheese.
- Imagining yourself enjoying your new cheese leads you to it.
- The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you find new cheese.
- Old beliefs do not lead you to new cheese.
- When you can see that you can find and enjoy new cheese, you change course.
- It is safer to search in the maze, than remain in a cheeseless situation.
- Noticing small changes early helps you adapt to the bigger changes that are to come.
- Move with the cheese and enjoy it!
The moral of the story? Change happens – anticipate it, monitor it, and adapt quickly when it happens.